Saturday, July 26, 2008

Climbing the Cliffs of SA

So it turns out the last blogging day was also a short one. Hopefully today will be better. It's hard to go back and post about what's happened when so much is still on the go and happening. The last month has been mostly work, but still an amazing adventure.

Again, I'm not sure where to start so I suppose I'll just start rambling and see where it takes me. If you've ever received an email from me you'll quickly realize that rambling is what I do best. There won't be too much thought provoking reading going on, but hopefully once I catch up with what I've done and where I've been I can get into the details of what South Africa is all about (through my eyes at least) because it really is something to tell.

South Africa is stunning to say the least and I know that my pictures won't do it justice, but one has to try. I suppose pictures are next best to the real thing!! These first few pictures are for all those climbers back home. This is my attempt to try and entice you to come out for a visit - Glen? Denise? Don't think I have forgotten!!

I have also decided that I am going to try and dedicate as many of my postings to the people who mean so much to me - family, friends, those strangers that you meet that touch your life in ways you never knew existed. So, on that note, Glen, Denise - this one is for you guys!! I’ve included two spots where I’ve been climbing so there’s one in there for each of you, both from the Magaliesberg area. Thanks for getting me back onto the real stuff before I left Canada!!

All I really have to say is that the rock out here is absolutely amazing. Climbing out here is so much the same yet so different to back home. The hikes out to the rock, being on the rock, and the best part of course - never forgetting to look back and see where it is you are on this planet. The feel is similar to back home, but different and the views similar in that they are breathtaking, but again different in that it's like nothing I've ever seem before. Ok - rambling - let's have the pictures do some talking.


The Hike Out - Fernkloof

One of the climbs - Fernkloof

Where we Set up Shop - Fernkloof

The Hike Out to the Climbs at Hartebeespoort Dam

One of the Climbs at the Dam

A Few More Climbs at the Dam

The view of Hartebeespoort Dam from 3/4 of the way up a climb.

No comments: